Requirements for Completion of Apprenticeship
The reinforcing rodworker apprenticeship consists of 4000 hours in the field work experience including two terms of in-school training. The trade school intakes are basic (8 weeks) and advanced (4 weeks). Training is located at Ironworkers Local 721 Training and Rehabilitation Centre, 909 Kipling Ave., Etobicoke. Once the apprentice has completed the requirements of their contract they will challenge the Certificate of Qualification examination where they must obtain a minimum of 70%. Examinations are administered at local offices of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
The terms of Apprentice wage scale increases are as follows:
- 1st 500 hours 60% of the prevailing Journeyperson rate
- 2nd 500 hours 70% of the prevailing Journeyperson rate
- 3rd 1000 hours 80% of the prevailing Journeyperson rate
- 4th 1000 hours 90% of the prevailing Journeyperson rate
- 5th 1000 hours 95% of the prevailing Journeyperson rate
Successful completion of the basic intake of trade school will be given a credit of 240 hours and the advanced 120 hours toward the apprenticeship contract of the Reinforcing Rodworker Apprentice.